The IAVCEI ECR-Net is a global group of volcanology researchers dedicated to connecting Early-Career Researchers in volcanology and related subdisciplines worldwide.
IAVCEI Scientific Assembly, Portland, U.S.A., 14-18 August 2017
⇒ ECR specific programming includes:
- Mentoring/mentee initiative;
- Early career mentoring fair;
- Early career social event;
- Crisis communication panel debate;
- and much more! Click here to view the IAVCEI 2017 ECR page. The ECR-Net Initiative
The IAVCEI Early-Career Researchers Network (ECR-Net) was established during the IAVCEI 2013 conference in Kagoshima (Japan) by a group of Early-Career enthusiasts and then-IAVCEI President Ray Cas, in order to (1) support career development, (2) form an active network and (3) coordinate specific activities for early-career volcanologists. Since then, the ECR-Net working group has held several social meetings, interacted with IAVCEI’s Executive Committee, set up ECR discussion platforms on social media, and prepared an early-career dedicated programme for the IAVCEI Assembly in Portland in August 2017.
Ongoing efforts include the following:
Supporting career development
- Hold workshops at IAVCEI-sponsored meetings: Q&A sessions with senior scientists, scientific CV writing, job opportunities, publishing, grant proposal writing, etc.;
- Develop an online forum for Q&A with senior scientists, linking to job opportunities, etc.
Forming an active network to share resources
- Use social media (Facebook, Twitter, VHUB) as informal ways to distribute ECR-specific information, e.g., international funding and partnership opportunities, ECR-Net activities, etc.;
- Produce an ECR-Net newsletter highlighting cutting-edge research by early-career volcanologists worldwide (within IAVCEI News);
- Highlight ECR news and science from listservs, websites, and journals.
Co-ordinate early-career specific activities at IAVCEI assemblies and involvement in IAVCEI
- Increase opportunities for ECR involvement and recognition, e.g., develop an award to recognize early career scientists, and/or dedicated ECR events.
- Increase involvement of early-career researchers in convening sessions and IAVCEI commissions;
- Hold early-career specific pre-/post-conference workshops to provide training, networking and feedback/advice on presentations of other topics of early-career interest.
- Become a member of our Facebook group “IAVCEI ECR-Net (Early-Career Researchers Network)”!
- Follow us on Twitter: @IAVCEI_ECRNet
- Become a member of the VHUB group and start a discussion!
(VHUB is a great way to build your network from the start of your career!)
- Send us an email to receive mailing list updates!
If you want to be part of the core working group as a regional representative (Asia, Africa, Middle-East especially) or have any helpful suggestions to enhance the efficiency of the ECR-Net, please send us an email!
Meet the current ECR-Net Working Group members (2015-2017)
Sam Poppe (co-leader)
Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB)
Charlotte Vye-Brown (co-leader)
British Geological Survey (BGS)
U.S. Geological Survey
Postdoctoral research fellow
Laboratoire Magmas et Volcans,
Université Clermont Auvergne – CNRS – IRD, OPGC,
Earth Observatory of Singapore (EOS)
Cambridge, MA, USA
Johannes Gutenberg Universität