IAVCEI 2017 Awards - Call for Nomination
Call for nominations for IAVCEI Awards to be Awarded at the 2017 IAVCEI Scientific Assembly in Portland, USA, August, 2017
With the next IAVCEI Scientific Assembly to be held in Portland, USA, in August 2017, it is time to invite the IAVCEI community to nominate from its ranks members who have distinguished themselves through their research activities and their contributions to the IAVCEI research community for the various research awards IAVCEI presents. To ensure that long established, older researchers do not have an unfair advantage over younger, well deserving middle career researchers, IAVCEI has several awards, some that are awarded every 2 years, at both IAVCEI Scientific Assemblies and General Assemblies, and some that are awarded only every 4 years at Scientific Assemblies. Scientific Assemblies are the uniquely IAVCEI-only meetings, whereas General Assemblies are IAVCEI meetings, held within the overall structure of IUGG conferences, a little like AGU and EGU conferences.
You are invited to nominate deserving colleagues who you feel should be recognized for their outstanding contributions to volcanological research and the IAVCEI research community in one of the following awards.
Nomination and Award Process:
(1) a formal nomination letter, not to exceed three pages, stating the case for the nomination of a person, written by one or more individuals, and also indicating the agreement of the nominated researcher to being nominated
(2) an up to date curriculum vitae for the nominee
(3) at least three supporting letters originating from different institutions (two such letters are sufficient for the George Walker Awards)
(4) if needed, a letter describing explicitly the types of "difficult circumstances" encountered by the candidate should be included for the George Walker Award.
* ALL candidates must be IAVCEI members when nominated
* All nominators must be IAVCEI members when they nominate a candidate
* Awards will be determined by an Awards Committee, chaired by the IAVCEI President. Decisions of the committee will be notified to the award winners and referees before the registrations deadline to the 2017 Scientific Assembly. The awards, citation and acceptance speeches will be scheduled during the Scientific Assembly, and will be published in the IAVCEI newsletter.