Chapman Conference on Submarine Volcanology: New Approaches and Research Frontiers
January 30 and February 3, 2017 in Hobart, Tasmania, Australia.
This international conference aims to bring together researchers and students to discuss the past decade’s advances in understanding various types, mechanisms, consequences and tectonic environments of submarine volcanic eruptions. We also plan to take advantage of the assembled expertise to plot a course for possible future directions of reserach in the various fields encompassed by submarine volcanology.
The Chapman Conference objectives are to:
- Establish the current knowledge of oceanic volcanism across multiple disciplines.
- Identify the most important questions that should be the focus for future research.
- Provide a multidisciplinary forum for the exchange of ideas and new technologies/methodologies.
- Stimulate the formation of multidisciplinary collaborations that will address key research questions.
- Facilitate transfer of knowledge between scientists in different disciplines and career levels.
The meeting will have invited talks, contributed talks, workshops, and posters. There will be a single session each day, ensuring that attendees remain together to maximize interactions and exposure to new ideas and subjects. There will be a field trip on day 3 of the conference and field trips offered before and after the meeting as well.
We intend to create an online survey in the next months prior to the conference which will solicit the community’s input at identifying the future priorities in terms of science, technology and data. The outcomes of this conference will be reported and publicly available with a list of future priorites and directions in submarine volcanology.
Please view information about this Chapman conference here:
There is limited funding available for early career researchers for those who are IAVCEI members. We will advertise this funding opportunity closer to the time of the conference.
Many thanks and we look forward to seeing you in 2017!
Chapman Conveners and Program Committee